The Law Society also has an online Lawyers and Paralegal Directory. The site confirms that an Ontario lawyer or licensed paralegal is entitled to provide legal services. It also contains important information that will help you make an informed decision when choosing which type of legal representation is best suitable to your needs.
The directory reflects the lawyer and the licensed paralegal status, including:
- if he/she is currently providing legal services
- whether there are restrictions on his/her practice
- the nature of those restrictions, if applicable
- whether the lawyer or paralegal's licence is currently suspended
It also provides the licensee's discipline history, including:
- findings of professional misconduct or conduct unbecoming a licensee
- details of orders resulting from those findings
- whether there are any licence restrictions
Another service provided by the Law Society is the Law Society Referral Service. The Law Society Referral Service will give you the name of a lawyer and a paralegal within or near your community, who will provide a free consultation of up to 30 minutes to help you determine your rights and options.